We are looking for a talented and driven marketing professional to take on a 12-month parental leave cover as Marketing Director for Vintage, to start in January 2023. The Marketing Director is responsible for leading campaign strategy as well as contributing to the overall strategy of the division as part of the Vintage Leadership Team. The Marketing Director ensures the marketing team develops targeted campaigns to generate the maximum possible consumer engagement and stimulate sales for titles and is accountable for performance and development of the team.
This position has four direct reports, and reports to the Deputy Managing Director, Vintage.
Read Boldly, Think Differently.
At Vintage, we publish thought-provoking writing from authors of all backgrounds, including trail-blazing classics and books that speak urgently to our times. Which means our broad family of authors ranges from world-class prize-winners to brand new, emerging talent. Think Amanda Gorman, Rukmini Iyer, Margaret Atwood, Caroline Criado Perez, Ian McEwan, Nigella Lawson, Ai Weiwei and Richard Powers.
- Create the divisional marketing strategy, ensuring this is communicated to the marketing team
- Set the marketing budget and manage how the budget is allocated and spent and across all frontlist and catalog campaigns
- Allocate and oversee all marketing campaigns for the division to ensure they are targeted, of high quality and come within budget, with particular focus on author brands
- Lead/contribute to campaign strategy for very high-profile authors
- Read and report on marketing views for potential acquisitions and create pitch strategies to win authors and attend pitch meetings with agents and authors
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to set strategic prioritization of our books and help define key focuses for the division, as part of the Vintage Leadership Team
- Provide audience and market-led feedback as part of the jacket design process
- Ensure the marketing team utilizes data in order to report marketing effectiveness against benchmarks, while bringing audience-led focus, a growth mindset, diversity of thought and innovation into the department
- Ensure close collaboration between marketing and other teams (PR, Brand, Editorial, Design, Sales, International, Audience Insight and Penguin Brand)
- Ensure team works closely with sales to develop targeted retailer marketing strategies and maintain strong retailer marketing relationships
- Ensure team submit successful campaigns for trade awards and present campaigns/strategies at relevant conferences
- Responsible for delivery of Marketing D&I plans
- Set clear, SMART goals for direct reports, and ensure people managers in the team do the same. Regular management catch-ups with all direct reports examining goals, and key other areas such as work/life balance, workload, training and development and title allocation
- Manage strong relationship with Vintage’s media agency, as well as a roster of other key media agencies for booking media campaigns
- Significant leadership skills and a team player
- Previous senior management experience essential
- Audience-focused approach with a passionate interest in all things marketing, brands and consumers
- Initiative to respond to emerging consumer trends
- Growth-focused and not afraid to ask challenging questions
- Highly skilled strategic thinker
- Experience working with a range of stakeholders – strong influencer with excellent powers of persuasion
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, problem solve, brainstorm
- Handling confidential projects with discretion
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Confident and a positive, resilient disposition with emotional intelligence
- Calm under pressure
- Attention to detail
- Proven track record delivering high profile campaigns
- Highly experienced with and knowledgeable of digital media and landscape
- Familiarity/experience with Adobe Suite, self-service advertising platforms, social media monitoring tools and project management tools such as Trello
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively to a wide range of people
Please apply with your CV and cover letter (addressed to Faye) by midnight on Wednesday 5th October.
What you can expect from us:
Salary: £65,000 – £75,000 depending on how your skills and experience align with the role, plus bonus and benefits.
We’re currently experimenting with hybrid working and involving colleagues across the business to shape our future ways of working. For this role, there are regular meetings and activities that you will need to attend in person at our Embassy Gardens office. The exact balance of office to remote working will depend on the nature of your role and team needs, and we are open to discussing this through the recruitment process.
Our employees are the heart of our business. We have a range of benefits to reflect our commitment to our employees, some of which are:
• 27 days paid holiday entitlement in year one (plus bank holidays), increasing a day each year up to 30 days
• Medical cover
• Life assurance
• Cycle to Work scheme
• Discounted gym membership
• Generous pension scheme
• Summer working hours (role dependent)
• Volunteering policy and charity matching
• Employee Assistance programs
• Mentoring programs
• Extended gender neutral parental leave
• Access to books and eBooks across Penguin Random House UK
• Each site has trained mental health first aiders
• We plant a tree for every new employee to our business
Our creativity is inspired by different perspectives, so we want our culture to be one of belonging, where everyone feels welcome and where differences are celebrated.
As a Disability Confident Committed organization, we’re part of the offer an interview scheme. This is where disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for the role can opt in to get to the next recruitment stage. There may be some situations where the volume of applicants means we can’t take all eligible candidates to interview.
We want to make sure disabled applicants can be their best at each step of the recruitment journey. If you need adjustments during the application process, we encourage you to get in touch with us at http://[email protected]
Remember, you only need to share what you are comfortable with for us to support your adjustment request. Find out more about our approach here: www.penguinrandomhousecareers.co.uk/applying-for-roles-with-a-disability
We partner with The Book Trade Charity, who provide financial assistance for people looking to get into the publishing industry; you can find more information and talk directly here: http://booktradeentrysupport.org/
Please note, we are not able to accept agency CVs for this role. Any CVs sent speculatively will not be eligible for a fee.